Sunday 15 March 2015

A Week of Sickness for the Harris's


This week has not been a great one for the Harris's who live in Germany!  I was off sick on Monday with a cold, then back in for the rest of the week.  Matt came home on Tuesday and managed to hurt his back while doing sit ups in the front room.  He has hurt his back before at the gym, but it is usually OK by the next morning.  This time it wasn't OK at all.  He was in so much pain that he had to go to the doctors on Wednesday morning.  The doctor signed him off work for the rest of the week, and next week if he needed it.  He has been prescribed with two lots of strong medication, and also prescribed 10 sessions of physio.  In a way I'm almost glad it happened, because I've been trying to get him to go to the doctors about his back for a long time, and now he has done it, and will hopefully get it sorted out once and for all!  Matt hates being off work, so he has been feeling a bit sorry for himself this week.  We had to miss a birthday meal on Wednesday because of it, and also a day out watching the rugby yesterday too, which was a shame,  But we did manage to go to a friends house on Friday evening for a couple of hours for cheese fondu.  The fondu was amazing, and the bread had come all the way from Hanover that morning with our friends girlfriend who is visiting for the weekend.  We played a very complicated German card/board game, and had a couple of rounds of Question of Sport before heading home.  

On Saturday, we went for a wander around Duisburg town, just to get Matt out of the house for a couple of hours, and today we're just relaxing.  Matt is going to have a busy time next weekend when he flies home for the rugby, so a weekend of not doing much was definitely needed.

My week at school was tiring because I was getting over the cold.  I had an observation on Wednesday by the head of admissions (who is very important and well respected in the school).  I got a brilliant review of the bottom set Year 3 Maths lesson that I was TA-ing in, and there were no negative or even constructive criticism comments at all.  I was very pleased!  I was also observed on Friday - ish.  The teacher was actually being observed, but the observation was on the teachers use of TAs, so I was sort of being observed.  That went fine too.

I managed to order stamps to England entirely in German, and also order pizza last night entirely in German too.  I was even told that my German was very good after only being here for 6 months!  I was pretty chuffed with that!  So all in all, it's not been a bad school week at all.  Only two more weeks until the Easter holidays, which I am really looking forward to.

The top photo is of the proofs of my article, which is due to be published online at the end of March.  This is my final chance to make any changes, which I have now done, and there is nothing left to do now, but wait for it to be published!



No comments:

Post a Comment