Sunday 6 December 2015

Boxing, Parent Visits, Winter Fair, and the Light Market



As promised, here are a few photos from the boxing match that Matt and his friend from home, plus two friends from school went to last weekend.  They had a fantastic time, and the Brit won, so they were very happy.

Matt's friend coming to stay marked the first of our 3 visitors in an 8 day stretch.  It's been an incredibly exhausting week!  Matt's friend went home last Sunday.......



I went to Cologne for the day on Sunday with my friend from school and her Mum.  Cologne is beautiful at Christmas, and the markets are wonderful.




Mum and Dad arrived on Monday for a few days of Christmas market hopping.  We were at work, so unfortunately couldn't go with them, but we saw them in the evening for schnitzel, and Christmas market hot salmon, and gluwein......


They left on Thursday, and Matt's parents arrived on Friday.


We had our Winter Fair at school on Saturday, and we were both down to work the morning shift, 11-2pm.  I was on a stall of games, where you played to win little prized.  It was a shame that we were downstairs in the food area, rather than upstairs with all the crafty christmas stalls, because the atmosphere was lovely up there.  The Choir sang on the stage, and Santa arrived.  Matt was supervising generally, so I think he got to see more than me.  Matt's parents came for an hour - enough time for a sausage in a bun, and then when we were finished, we headed into Duisburg for the Christmas markets, which are lovely.  We had dinner at Websters Brewery, and lots of gluwein at the market.



Saturday night was our house Christmas drinks in the garden.  We were determined to show our faces, which we did for an hour, with a glass of gluwein (with a shot of Amaretto) to aid us.  It was quite hard work because none of them speak English.  Matt did brilliantly, but I really struggled. I am determined next year to know a bit more conversational German!



Today we went to the Landschaftspark Nord, which is the old steel work landscape park that I have been to several times before.  They had a Christmas market on just for this weekend, and it was lovely.  All the stalls were handmade crafts, so just what I like!  We had currywurst for lunch there, and then had a wander around the park.  I took loads of photos as I always do, even though I've been there 3 times before, but I did spot these moving fans that I hadn't seen before, so thought I would share them with you.  The picture at the bottom reminds me of the old channel 4 adverts, where things move into the shape of a 4!




An exhausting, but really nice and festive week.  We're quite glad that we have an evening to ourselves now though!


1 comment:

  1. I know it's been an exhausting week, but we had a lovely time thank you! Xx

    ReplyDelete